Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Thoughts on motherhood

Happy belated Mother's Day to all you mommies. This past week has had me thinking on what motherhood is all about. I feel so blessed to have so many wonderful examples of great mothering around me, to help me to be a better mother. First and foremost, my own mother. I love her more than words can say. She has been such a wonderful influence on me on how I raise my kids. She most have done something right, because we've all turned out okay. If you've ever read the book, 5 Love Languages (highly recommened for everyone!!), I think my mom shows her love best by her service. I remember growing up watching her clean the house, cook wonderful meals, grow an awesome garden, help us with endless homework, and the list goes on. I've come to realize that this is my love language too. Seriously, what is hotter than watching your husband do the dishes, or fold laundry. As a mother now of 4 boys, I appreciate all that my mom has done for me as I grew up, even more than I ever have.

Another great example I have of great mothering is my mother-in-law. She herself raised 4 boys before having her girls. Even though she's still in "mom mode," she has taught me much about enduring to the end. I am seriously surprised she is alive after all that those 4 boys have put her through- Carl being the ringleader and probably paved the rocky road for the rest of the boys. Being a mother isn't always easy, sometimes it seldom is, and there are days I feel, is it even worth it? Oh I know, they are small, and they aren't even teenagers yet, and maybe it's only the tip of the iceburg that I've endured, but being a mom is hard! So much harder than I ever thought. But, I do have to admit that it's been more rewarding than I ever thought. I have 4 little faces that worship me and shower me with affection. Their little, "I love you's," mean the world to me. I just have to endure through the tantrums and teasing- which are getting better do to something new that I've been working on. Maybe more on that later. Thank you to you, Mom, for raising a wonderful son, who turned out alright at the end. He loves me more than I sometimes feel I deserve. He loves his sons and he loves his Lord.

I have 2 wonderful grandmothers who showed me the means of hard work. Both being the wife of a farmer, I know they always had lots to do on the farm. Thank you grandma Simmons for teaching me how to make bread and crochet and help me to be the mom I am today. Grandma Jones, I miss you so much and can't wait to see you again.

Thank you to all the women in my life who show me great examples of mothering. I am thankful for friends who are going through the same thing I am and have advice and help for me. We are all sisters and are trying to raise our Heavenly Father's children.

(I love LOVE this pouty face!) I've been analyzing myself, and asking if I am a good mother. I would say that there are things I'm doing right, but then there are sooooo many things I wish I was better at. I wish I let my kids be kids. Sometimes I have a hard time letting them learn by themselves. I need to let them do the dishes more, so what if water gets on the floor. I need to let them do more chores, so what if it's not how I do it. I need to play and read and be silly more.

I love spring and the new growth all around. Spring seems like a great time to refocus on what is important in my life and rededicate myself. I do love my boys-I just hope that I can be the best mom that I can be and the best mom they deserve.


Thanks for letting me ramble and pour out my soul. Now I'm off to change a diaper (fyi-Colton is now potty trained!!), take out my burning cookies, and give my boys a kiss.

3 comments:

LyndiLou said...

You're a great Mom and I love all these awesome pictures! Jacksen has SOOO much hair... it's SOOO cute! Happy Belated Mother's Day to you!!!

Katie Wells said...

Yep, you are a great mama! Cute pics. Isn't it so great that we had so many good influences?!?

Adams said...

Oh, Kristi. This one did make me cry. I feel those exact same feelings. We are so hard on ourselves. I've seen those boys love on you and depend on you because of your love for them. I love you, Kristi!